Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Obey Experience

I Know that everyone in Dallas has a picture, post, comment, about Shepard Fairey some are positive and some very negative, but I find it very important to make your own mind about things, so I did.
Mural by Shepard Fairey Dallas TX
Now, I seen his work many times before and I'm ok with it but I always seen it in magazines, book, etc, but I never seen it in real life so I couldn't really say anything about it (yeah I'm not those types, you know who you are!) so I had a lot of questions on how exactly he does what he does, for what I saw in the pictures it seen like he was always chilling and a bunch of Mexicans working in the back busting their ass (LOLZ no j/k I always say that for everything) pictures didn't really helped.
Shepard and One of his Crew Member at Work in Dallas Mural
As soon as I got to the site I saw Shepard on a cherry picker cutting a large size stencil, on that moment I was like lets' see this dude at work and really see what he is all about, also when he gets a break maybe talk to him a bit, after 30 min or so Shepard was still very focus and working really hard cutting and masking before making every spray making sure everything was perfect, it really seen like a lot of work and the size the size! even with a crew the murals was still a beast, I did have a new found respect for his craft and trust me I paint for many hour at a time but is inside with no people looking and no distractions, so that's easy compare to this guy and for that mad props. While watching him paint a gentleman standing next to me started a conversation with me about how awesome it is that the city of Dallas got a real artist to paint all this murals and not all this 'local graffiti artists', My look was like "this nigga didn't just say this to me!" but I stayed professional (wait, fuck that! Shepard's work is consider graffiti is a fucking Giant Stencil on a wall in the streets, also called graffiti!, see what happens when all your culture comes from the main stream media do your fucking homework!) I just smiled, anyways I waited for a while but I was running out of time and had to get back but I wanted to talk to his so bad I had to build up my courage real fast and interrupted him (honestly if anyone interrupts me while painting I will murder your ass, yeah, don't test me.) he turned around, and I have to say he is the nicest most humble person I have ever met super super cool guy, we had a small conversation and afterwards he ask me for my name and told me to wait while he pulled out some stickers YEAH! real cool, A positive attitude really is everything and goes along way mos def became a fan.
Getting Shepard Signature
Stickers by Shepard Fairey
"The Phenomenon" Shepard Feirey Dj-ed for the Dallas Contemporary, He rocked the house playing almost all Gangster Rap mash-ups with Metal Rock and about 99% of them didn't pass the year 99' (NWA, Ice Cube, Wolfmother, Metallica, etc. Westside! ) he was jamming really hard, as far as his technique I was very surprise he did a great job I hear maybe two train-wrecks and one fader slip-up I seen that happens to the best Djs so no biggie. Over all the Obey experience showed me to be humble and do it because you love it.
Shepard in the Mix

Shepard in the Mix

After the Set

No comments:

Post a Comment