Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Meeting Stan Lee

Last Saturday they had the "Dallas Comic Con Fan Days" This gave me an opportunity to finally meet my idol Mr. Stan Lee!, the legend, the man, the creator of everything that was great in my childhood and teen years, the reason why I even started doing people! before Stan all I did on paper was TMNT and WB characters, So this was a really big moment for me. At the age of 9 My brother had brought some trading cards to the house and gave me one of them, he gave me the one that in his mind was the best and he wasn't wrong, He had gave me a 92 Marvel Masterpieces Venom card this was the very first time I had ever seen this character and it was very Iconic in my eyes, As I started to wonder where he had gotten such a awesome item I started asking questions, "Yo bro when are going to take me where u got that card?", "Yo bro Yesterday you said you would take me to the store where you found this card, are we still going?", my older brother did not like to be bother at all so he punch me right in the chest real hard, sometimes at night I still feel the pain and wake up in night-sweats, no just fucking with u but he did punch me. After like a week he finally told me where this wonderous store was............. it was just around the corner literally like 2 mins or less, 'this fo'. As I look inside this amazing store 2 item catch my attention and I will never forget this -it was like looking into Gods eyeballs and he looked back giving me to thumbs up just like Jesus on Dogma, it was a action Figure of Venom it was inside a glass-case just standing there looking awesome! and right below 'A Death in the Family' my heart skipped a beat, I couldn't afford any of this but at that very moment comics own my soul.

As I started to draw Super Heroes I also started to learn about all this artists and writers but the ones that stand out the most were Todd Mcfarlane and Stan 'The Man' Lee, this guys rocked the very ground they walked on. I started trying to imitate Todd's and some others work and never could even get close no matter how hard I tried so I practice and practice and practice and practice, by the time I kind of had it I was introduce to Graffiti and all this practice went out the door. Many years later I finally had a chance to meet Mr. Mcfarlane and he was a cool guy, I told him that I was an artist and I guess he gets a lot of those so when he sign my comic he also wrote "keep up the effort" What does that even mean!? that's the type of shit that American idol's contestants get when they suck and get cut moving to the next poor baster, but he was super cool so it didn't matter also at least he acknowledge me and my interest in art, So it was great. But Now I'm waiting in line for the 'Man' Mr. Lee, as I get closer and closer I'm getting real nervous and playing what I will say in my head and finally the time comes........

A gentleman takes my item tells me 'no pictures' then sends me in as I'm grasping this moment my Item is passed to a girl, then Stan, then another girl, and then back to me, I was out the Door in like 10 sec...............I was wondering what did just happen, he didn't even look at me -my soul was crushed toss into the wall and then scorpion came out and finished it, I walked around the Con just thinking he's very old maybe I'm 20 or 10 year to late he now just goes thru the motions, but this doesn't change that thanks to this and many others I have become a great artist and now I don't have to look to no one to keep moving forward in my skill and for that thanks.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment